In 2022 I introduced a new service – Pay Monthly Websites. The main reason for introducing this new service is because even though I already offer affordable web design it was becoming apparent to me that for some start up businesses, even those costs were too high. So I had a few options:
- Lower my prices
This wasn’t really an option. With 14 years of knowledge and experience, my prices are already rock bottom and I didn’t want to have to compromise on the service I currently offer
- Allow people to pay over a longer period of time
I did consider this and if I charged more, then this is something I would have definitely thought more about. However, it can be risky and I do know of developers who have gone out of business/taken a huge financial hit because 6 or 9 months into a 24 or 36 month payment plan the client has stopped paying.
- Offer monthly payments in a way that won’t put me out of business
This seemed like the perfect solution, but how to go about it? Pre-made website templates are the solution. Usually, my websites are designed from scratch and the website is designed around the content. I always start with literally a blank site and everything is created and designed to fit the client’s content style and business. By offering pre-designed templates it allows me to build the sites must faster and therefore offer the sites on a pay monthly basis.
How do Pay Monthly Websites Work?
It’s fairly straightforward.
- First, choose a pre-designed website template that you like. If you’re not sure and need suggestions, don’t hesitate to ask. Don’t worry if the colours and fonts aren’t to your liking because I will be changing those for you to suit your own brand and business.
- Each website template already has what is called placeholder text. All you have to do is send me the text you want for your business instead. I have a simple system that allows you to do so.
- Each website template includes images. You can either send me photos to replace these, or I can source these for you.
- I update the website template with your new text, colours, fonts and images and your site is ready to go live! You have a brand new website, fully optimised for Google and you’ve only had an initial outlay of £35-£55!
- I send you training videos on how to update your website if you so wish.
What are the Pros and Cons of Pay Monthly Websites?
- It allow you to get a website from just £35! The majority of reputable designers charge at least 50% to start a project and so being able to get a site with such a small outlay is amazing
- Some clients struggle with writing the copy (text) for their site. The website templates have placeholder text in place already. This is perfect for some clients as you can see exactly what copy you need to write for where. It provides a good guide.
- It’s perfect for side businesses and start ups. If you’re not really sure if your business is viable this is a great, low cost way to get started.
- It’s pretty risk free. You haven’t invested much money and there is no minimum contract and so it provides a great way to get started with little financial risk
- There is a large number of templates to choose from so there is something to suit any business
- It’s an extremely affordable way to get an ecommerce or membership site online
- The site isn’t bespoke
- The templates usually have around 5 or 6 pages, so you may need extra pages/sections which increases the price
- It is more suitable for start up businesses than those needing a redesign
- Some people struggle to picture what the template will look like with different colours and fonts and can’t visualise how the finished site might look
- In the long term, this is a more expensive option. However given that most WordPress designers charge £30+ a month just for hosting and maintenance anyway, then it’s still a very affordable option
If you have any questions about my pay monthly websites I’d love to hear from you, so please don’t hesitate to get in touch.
Full-service marketing firm Creative Marketing (NW) Ltd has successfully acquired Blackpool websites design agency – Websites by Diane. Websites by Diane has been supporting local Blackpool businesses and many other websites around the UK, including a couple in the US & Ghana to host and support their website. The founder Diane has been building WordPress websites…
Facebook vs Website It’s becoming increasingly common for small businesses to think that a website isn’t necessary and that having a Facebook page will suffice. I know I’m a web designer so might just be a little bit biased 😉 but here are some great reasons why a website to compliment your Facebook page is…
How long does it take to start ranking in Google? TL;DRIt’s highly unlikely that your website will rank for your keywords before the 6 month mark. Page One Google Rankings It goes without saying that having your website appear on page one of Google is the holy grail. Organic page one rankings are free (unless…
In 2022 I introduced a new service – Pay Monthly Websites. The main reason for introducing this new service is because even though I already offer affordable web design it was becoming apparent to me that for some start up businesses, even those costs were too high. So I had a few options: Lower my…
Back when I launched my low cost web design business in 2008 I used to charge £199 for a 5 page website. I was new to the market, my knowledge was relatively new and I was by far the cheapest web design company in the UK (if you’ve not read my About page I started…
There is a legal requirement to display certain information on your website. This information depends on whether or not you are a limited company and if your website is an e-commerce website or not. Failing to display this information can result in a fine. Limited Company Information If you run a limited company you are…
What Should I do with my New Website? Your website is live. Exciting! Now what? There are over a billion websites (I know!) on the internet so thinking that “build it and they will come” will work isn’t really a viable strategy, especially if your business is brand new. It’s crucial that you promote and…
Are low cost one page websites a good idea? I’m inspired to write this after a long spate of clients wanting 1 page websites. One page websites can be absolutely brilliant depending on the niche in which your business operates. Here I’d like to take a look at the pros and cons of one page…
How to get to page 1 of Google The most frequent question I get asked is will my website get page 1 of Google? The answer to this question doesn’t have a straightforward answer. However, there are certain things that you can look at. These include What keywords you are trying to rank for The…
How to Choose a Domain Name A domain name is your www.yourcompany.com. Choosing your domain name is probably the biggest and most important decision that you’ll make regarding your website. Other areas of your website like the content, style, layout and hosting can always be changed at a later date without much impact. However if…